Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Story of Parker, part 1

So to take a break from the weight-loss talk, I'd like to share the newest addition to our household.

On January 3, winter had set in in our neck of the woods, I was driving home and passed a bank sign, showing me that it was 25 degrees outside, and a quick check of the local news radio said it would get down to 17 degrees before the nights end. It was cold.  I parked my car, dreading to have to open the door and get to our home without freezing to death.  Finally I did exit the car, and noticed something furry just across from me on the sidewalk.

For most people in residential neighborhoods, stray cats are a common occurence.  Most of the times approaching these domesticated - to - feral cats, results in the same, you give them attention and they run away and hide. But this furball was different...

As I normally do with our 7 year old spoiled cat, I made the kissing noise to try and get his attention. Instead of running away, he started bounding over to get a better look at me.  At first he came close, but not close enough to pet, probably sizing me up.  As soon as I would approach, he'd back off, but never really running away.  Freezing, I decided to head inside, took off my gloves, pulled out my cell, and texted my wife about the cute kitty in the parking lot; she suggested that I try and bring him some food.  I hadn't thought of this, so i grabbed an old kitty bowl, got some dry food and headed out the door.

To young people, siblings, were at the community mailbox, and there was the little cat hanging around them, one of them actually able to pet him.  I asked if he was theirs, but the answer was no.  One the kids was actually sitting on the curb, and I did the same.  I must not seemed as "big" as before and he came right up to me.

Most cats will be able to find a warm place to sleep when it gets cold enough.  I was worried about this cat, because he seemed young, and was friendly enough that I was concerned that he might belong to someone and not be "equipped" to take care of himself on a night like this.  I made the decision to pick him up, not really knowing how he'd react, I got him by the scruff of the neck, and like a young cat, he went limp, and curled up his back feet, absolutely no agression of any kind. I brought him in close, and he was purring / shivering.

I called my wife again, looking for numbers to shelters and such. It seemed that all of the non-profit / no kill groups were closed or not taking calls.  We heard from my parents, who offered to take him if we couldn't find a place.  Meanwhile, when I had gone inside the first time, I had taken off my gloves.  Unfortunately, the gloves were still off, and I found that my hands were as cold as the little kitty I was holding.  I did the next logical thing and opened my jacket and stuffed the kitty in.  A final call to my wife, and she told me to just bring him inside and put him inside the main floor bathroom. Having lost almost all feeling in my fingers, I was in no position to argue.

Next.....Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment