Friday, January 13, 2012

2011: a year in review, part 2

Alaska turned out to be pretty great.  The cruise was a nice experience, and we were fortunate enough to go on a cruise line that doesn't make you pay out the rear for tips at the end.  The trip took us up to Glacier Bay Park, Juneau, Ketchikan, and Sitka, Alaska.  There was a final stop in Victoria, BC, which basically was just 2 bus rides, with a flower garden in the middle.

After the cruise we had an extra day in the heart of Seattle.  If there's one thing for sure, its that you get your exercise if you live in the city.  I think we lost all the weight we gained on the cruise, just by walking from our hotel.

Coming back to work was very difficult.  I was tired and cranky my first week back, we definitely needed the whole " vacation from our vacation".  After that, work just got harder, there were more things to do, with less people, and shorter time frames.  Unless I really make an effort to leave, I could be at work until 7 or 8 every night.  Getting home late every night, really kills your productivity on the weekends, because you're trying to recover from the week.

At the end of August, my wife and I celebrated our fifth wedding anniversary.  It really does seem like forever ago, probably because by that time we'd been "together" 12.5 years. We took some extra time off of work, but nothing fancy( I think we went and saw Transformers3 ?).

As the holidays approached, my weight and my health started to become a major issue.  I was working so much at the office, that I didn't have the time (or energy) to make it to the gym, and getting no exercise at all combined with easily prepared processed food... I managed to get myself weighing in at 343 pounds, the most I have ever weighed in my entire life.

Something had to change...

No comments:

Post a Comment