Friday, January 13, 2012

Stupid BMI

I have always believed (as many do), that the whole BMI scale is a crock of.. manure.  How can a simple equation be accurate for everyone on the planet. I think someone told me that it was for average people, what the heck is average. If I was at my prescribed BMI weight, I'd be dead!

Of course I have issues with BMI, in addition to any other self image problems I might have already had, before I started losing weight in December, my weight was at 343lbs, which placed my BMI 50.3  . Sadly I am classified as morbidly obese !!!  My cholesterol is excellent, I've never had any heart issues, no problems with diabetes.  In fact the only thing I have is Asthma, and that's been well controlled for a good while.  When I try to picture morbid obesity, I think of the people who haven't left their beds in years.  the people that have to lose 300 pounds before they can get lifesaving surgery. 

I know and recognize that I'm fat, and that I have been for a long time. But I feel that I've never felt like I've portrayed myself as such.  I refuse to let belly fat hang over my belt, I'd rather suffer with my belt and pants around the center of my stomach.  My worst days of self image, is when I walk by mirrors... my looks definitely don't match my confidence.  I try to stay positive, but it is tough, knowing that you can make changes in your life to stay healthy, but then also wanting to sit back and relax and enjoy the moment without having to expend any effort.

 Long ago my asthma was much worse, and I was on steroids (prednisone) for close to 3 months.  Most people only need to be on it for a week or two at most.  Unfortunately for me, puberty struck during that period, and it played havoc with my body.  I have a picture with a young me, looking like a bloated grape, and only months earlier, a picture of me as a string bean.  Long story short, I've never been at a healthy adult weight

Honestly, I'm actually a little scared to think what I might look like when I get down to a "healthy" weight.  I've been looking at the same person in the mirror for close to 20 years... its hard to give up a relationship after that much time.  Will I like myself?


Next....Starting Again

No comments:

Post a Comment